Call your U.S. Senators and tell them not to let Obama and Harry Reid's lame duck Senate repudiate Ronald Reagan!
Reagan was a consistent stalwart booster of U.S. anti-missile defenses. He won the Cold War by standing firm on his plan to build an Anti-Ballistic Missile (ABM) Treaty. Obama's New START Treaty ties our hands against building anti-missile defenses to protect American lives from all the bad guys of the world. The lame duck Senate absolutely must NOT ratify this dangerous treaty.
The Senate has never voted its consent on an arms control treaty in a lame duck session, and we should not start now!
Here is a list of reasons the New START treaty should not be ratified, provided by the Center for Security Policy:
- The treaty deals with only SOME of Russia’s nuclear threats and none of the world’s others, like China, North Korea, Iran and Venezuela.
- The Treaty imposes limits on missile defense, despite the Obama Administration’s insistence it does not.
- There is no claim that we need the Treaty urgently to monitor Russian compliance. We should follow Ronald Reagan’s wise mantra, “trust but verify.” Yet, Missouri Senator Kit Bond, the ranking member of the Senate Intelligence Committee, has warned the treaty is not verifiable.
- Requiring the three newly seated Senators to vote on the Treaty during the lame-duck session will not allow them enough time to thoroughly research the treaty in order to fulfill their Constitutional duty to advise and consent to treaties.
- The Treaty will be implemented on the watch of newly elected Senators. Eleven of them have asked to have a say in its ratification. Consideration should be deferred until they take office, new and more balanced hearings can be held and there is an opportunity for improvements to this accord.
Call your Senators today and tell them you are counting on them to stop the dangerous new START Treaty.
Capitol Switchboard: (202) 224-3121